Mocha Mystery

Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Mocha Mystery goo. Chocolate gooey goodness. Sundae cake. Chocolate mystery stuff.
All things I've heard my husband and friends call this dessert.  
 I originally got this recipe from Pioneer Woman, a couple of years ago.  It quickly became one of our go-to, favorite desserts to make.  Seriously, it's so good, and it's the first request Max always has when I ask him what he wants for a dessert treat. 

It might not look incredibly appetizing, but OH MAN is it ever delicious.  It's quick and easy to put together, and when it comes out of the oven, there is a chocolate brownie-cake-like layer on top, with fudge-y goodness on the bottom.  I still have no idea how it comes out of the oven like this, but that is why it's called mocha mystery :)

Do yourself a favor, and whip some of this up.  And don't forget the ice cream!
Mocha Mystery
3/4 c granulated sugar
1 c flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp salt
1 piece unsweetened chocolate (1 square)
2 Tbsp butter
1/2 c whole milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 c brown sugar
1/2 c granulated sugar (additional)
4 Tbsp cocoa powder 
1 c cold (strong!) coffee

Mix together 3/4 c granulated sugar, flour, baking powder and salt.  Set aside. 

Melt square of chocolate and butter in microwave. Add to dry ingredients alternately with the milk and vanilla.  Mix together.  Pour into greased 8x8 pan. 

Combine brown sugar, additional 1/2 c granulated sugar, and cocoa powder.  Sprinkle mixture evenly over cake batter.  Pour cold coffee on top of powder and DO NOT MIX!  (It will not look pretty and you will wonder how in the world it will turn out, but JUST WAIT!!)  Bake at 350º for 40 minutes. 

Best served warm, with ice cream.

A few notes:
1. I have been using DARK cocoa powder lately, which is why the mocha mystery in the pictures is so dark in color. 
2. I don't always have unsweetened baking chocolate on hand, but have found that I can substitute 4 Tbsp of cocoa powder + 1 Tbsp of butter for the 1 piece unsweetened chocolate, and the recipe turns out just fine.  
3. One time, I didn't have any coffee available, so just used 1 c cold water.  It was not "mocha"-tasting, but still turned out chocolate and gooey and delicious. 

You Might Also Like

3 comments

  1. I need this in my life! Lol. I adore the pioneer woman. Every single recipe I've ever tried of hers is amazing. :) Have you made the orange vanilla monkey bread? Its seriously addicting! I'm definitely going to have to try this recipe now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my yum! Thanks for sharing. Definitely going to make this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mom used to make a hot fudge cake similar to this- the coffee? Perfect addition! I need to try this asap.

    ReplyDelete

Search

Popular Posts

Blog Archive