Wedding Wednesday: Eliana's Dedication

Wednesday, August 04, 2010

This week's Wedding Wednesday is a bit different than the rest; probably because it has to do with L's Dedication, rather than specifically about our wedding/reception. However, you will understand when I explain WHEN we had L dedicated!

Max and I decided before L was born that we didn't want her baptized as an infant. We wanted that to be something that she could decide to do when she had the choice to make as she grew up - we want that decision to be between her and Jesus. However, we really liked the idea of having her dedicated in a church, or a body of believers, who would come around us and help support and encourage us as we raised her in a God-glorifying manner. We were not attending a church at the time, as Max had been off and away doing Marine things, and I had moved back home after school. As we were planning our wedding (in those few short weeks!), we began to think about dedicating L during the wedding events. In the end, it worked out that we could take the hour before the reception was to start, invite our close friends and family who wanted to be there, and dedicate her to the Lord, to raising her for Him.

I am so glad that we did it that way. It was so beautiful. To look out at all the dear faces and see those who we loved and who loved us, and to know that they were our community, our family, and that they would be there for us. It was a short, simple ceremony. My dad officiated. We picked out two songs to sing - 'We Love You, Lord' and 'Sanctuary', had some Scripture read, and my dad said some words. Altogether, it was a very touching time for us. And it was particularly neat to me that we could incorporate it into our wedding events.

Last week's Wedding Wednesday: Family is HERE. And the following are photos from L's Dedication:

Our little family!

I just like this shot, with my dad's hand holding the Bible, and Maxwell and I with L in the background, looking so serious. As we should, raising children should be taking seriously. What a gift and entrustment from the Lord.

We prayed for L and had people come up and lay hands over us/her.

Love that she was holding my hands.

Papa D, holding L up, saying some words over her. That is L's "sponsor", or "godfather", Willie, on the other side of my dad.

The thing I love about this picture is that Max is holding onto L's shoes. Precious. I only just noticed it today!

With L's godfather - her godmother could not be present this day.

I forget how little she was! She was 8 weeks old here. What a sweetheart. She was such a trooper during all of our wedding festivities.

Obviously the newlyweds had to get an obligatory smoochy picture.

You Might Also Like

3 comments

  1. That's so precious and unique. I love that you included it with your closest friends and family and at your wedding. Very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a GREAT way to incorporate TWO amazing celebrations in a special (and quick) way! :)

    I love the barett in your hair. Beautiful and simple, MUCH better then a veil.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an amazing, beautiful idea! I love what you two decided to do. You are great parents. And of course, I love her dress!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Search

Popular Posts

Blog Archive