Bits & Pieces

Monday, July 01, 2013

It's funny how many pictures I take with my phone now, throughout the week.  It's so accessible and easy!  I've been able to capture moments I probably wouldn't have caught otherwise, and am having fun having a phone with a decent camera!  All these pictures are from the last week or so - adventures, crafts, outings to the park, cute outfits, a new shrimp pet, funny faces, marker mustaches, early morning Truth, nap time sweet talk - all little bits and pieces of our life lately - the little things, the small wonders that make up our little family.  When I put all the pictures together, it's so neat to see all the lovely little pieces that fit so well together, and my heart wells up with gratitude and love and joy.  This life, these kids, this time and season - God has me here for a reason, and although it can be easy to get caught up in the diapers and the dirt, the grime and the gunk, I am exactly where I am meant to be.  It might not always be easy, but it is oh so very, very good.  And I am so grateful that these photos serve as a reminder of that.  
Y'all, I've been in a bit of a funky-heart-place the last few weeks.  Easily discouraged and frustrated, overwhelmed and lonely.  There have been a few moments where I have been an emotional "hot mess".  I guess that's to be expected?!  We just went through a big transition - a move and a new "job" for Max.  We are in a new place, getting to know people, with not many friends here yet.  I am at home with 3 little people who have many demands all day long.  And I definitely don't have it all together or have all the answers.  Which has been blatantly obvious by the state of my heart and the responses/reactions I've been having the past few weeks.
In an effort to carve out some solid "me" time and give myself some space to work through some of my questions and thoughts and emotional responses, there are a few things I have been doing, and will continue to do, in an effort to form some good, life-giving habits...

1. Wake up with Max each morning and use my early mornings to have some solid Truth and journal time.  This has been giving me a chance to renew my mind and heart, and fill me up with Truth about who I am and whose I am.  I've been able to process through some of my questions and thoughts through taking the time to journal, and have allowed myself a good start on my days.  

2. Eat healthy and exercise consistently.  This is a definite work in progress, but one that I need to really commit to.  I have long had issues with emotional/stress eating, so imagine me being in an emotional funk, and what do you think is one of my initial responses?  Yes, to eat.  Usually in the form of sugary, carb-y goodness.  Not exactly the kinds of foods that will FUEL my body and fill me up in a healthy way.  I know this, and I know what will help me feel whole and healthy - so I am working hard to "clean" up my eating, as well as set some consistent exercise goals for the next few weeks.  

3. Get outside each day, weather permitting.  Being outside is so refreshing for me.  It allows me to step outside myself and see the bigger picture - that there is so much more than me, than this little corner of our family.  God has made such beauty right outside my door, and I want to be attentive to that.  Some days this looks like sitting on the front stoop, soaking up the sun.  Some days this means heading out to the beach, taking in the surf and salt.  And some days, this means meandering through the neighborhood with the kids, picking dandelions and searching for wild turkey feathers. 

4. Getting more sleep.  This one can be tough, with a little one who still does not sleep through the night, but I know how much better I function and deal with things when I am more rested.  My goal for the next few weeks is to make sure I am getting 7-8 hours, instead of the 6-ish I've been getting. 

5.  Accountability and processing with friends.  There is a lot of processing that I need to do on my own, as I search my heart and seek God in the midst of my struggles and questions and insecurities.  But there is also processing that I need with friends.  Talking through things, sharing ideas and struggles and heart issues, with people so dear to me, is so refreshing and meaningful.  Some times I walk away from a conversation with a new challenge and goal, sometimes I come away with encouragement and support.  Either way, community and friends, are always a good thing.  We weren't meant to do life alone, that's for sure!        

You Might Also Like

5 comments

  1. First of all, adorable pictures (as always).

    Secondly, thanks for sharing your heart! I can relate on so many levels, and I love the strategies you wrote about how to combat those feelings. I need to do those same things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. randoms. I like. BTW: You look extra happy :-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's something real nice about waking up before the kids, to relax and gather yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kaylee, I know that I'm just the mom of one of your friends but I truly enjoy your pics and Spirit guided words you speak to yourself and others. I relate to your heart felt feelings now and remember those days from the past. My prayers of strength, comfort and joy are raised to Jesus for you and your family. You should consider writing a book of some sort, your way with words, witnessing and thoughts are gifts. I know that there seems to be no time for that, maybe not now but sometime. Just a thought... I wish for you new friends, steadfast old ones, and a peace to your life that only God can give. Stay strong and know that the purpose in your life is always changing to meet His will. In His unending Love, Ruth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ms. Ruth! I appreciate your kind and encouraging words a lot!

      Delete

Search

Popular Posts

Blog Archive