My Journaling through January adventure, week 1.

Sunday, January 08, 2012

One of my goals for 2012 (which will all be introduced more thoroughly on the 12th!) is to keep a consistent journal for the year.  Journaling has always been a good way for me to get my thoughts down on paper, to process through emotions, events and ideas.  Plus, it allows me a great way to look back at where I have been, as well as enjoy memories of what has happened.  I have a box of old journals, starting from the age of 8 or so.  I used to journal frequently, and even kept a journal throughout the year-long deployment Max was on in 2010.  But ever since he got home, I have been lax on making time to write and allow my thoughts to come tumbling out on paper.

I want that to change this year.  I know how much I benefit from having a private space to record any and every going-on in my brain.  So I made a goal to keep a consistent journal this year.  Right around the same time, I read about Journaling through January, that Laura @ Along for the Ride was putting together.  And I knew it was a great way to get my 2012 journal started!

Along For the Ride
Everyday, Laura posts a prompt.  They have ranged anywhere from goals for the year, to greatest fear in 2012, to the things you are grateful for.  I have really enjoyed the prompts so far, and have really enjoyed having something to start the words flow onto the paper.  I have journaled everyday this week, minus one day.  Usually, I find I have a chunk of time right before bed, when Max is reading, that I am able to spend 5-10 minutes recording thoughts and answers to the prompt, as well as anything that comes out on the paper.  

I have learned a lot this week, about what I am hoping 2012 will bring, as well as fears I hold going into a New Year.  I have also become more cognizant of how much I filter my thoughts as my finger moves the pen across the page.  I think so much faster than I am able to write, and therefore, some of what is going on in my head doesn't make it onto the paper.  I am trying to intentionally slow down my thoughts, so that I can more clearly document what I am thinking.  I would really like to record more of the things that go on in my head.  

I am really excited to continue using the Journaling through January prompts, as well as eventually share bigger pieces of what I am learning through the process.  

Oh yeah, and you will notice I switched up the blog look again.  I couldn't help it...I got the itch and had to make some changes.  I've been eye-balling the one column look for awhile and finally just went with it.  It feels so much simpler, which makes me happy.  I have a few more changes and additions to make, and then it will be complete.  What do you think?

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. I used to journal but then I got into blogging and it sort of replaced it. I can't be AS candid, but it works for me. I love the new design, btw! I need a new one myself, I've been itching for one... Who did yours? Or did you do it yourself?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like this look. I'm a fan of gray. :)

    And I really should get back to journaling, too- I'm the same way, and kept a journal since I was 9, but slacked the past couple years. I've just been journaling for Millie!

    ReplyDelete

Search

Popular Posts

Blog Archive