Social Media Fast.

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

As I was listening to my favorite radio station (Air1) the other day, they started talking about doing a social media fast. I turned up the volume and started really listening. They were challenging listeners to fast from, or to give up, social media networks (facebook, twitter, etc) for a certain number of days (they were doing 3 weeks, but challenged people to give up any amount of time). Their challenge stemmed from the idea that we often spend more time staying connected to the world via social media, than we do talking to and connecting with God (which, when I started thinking about it, made me so sad!).


For whatever reason, I was really convicted to think more about doing my own social media fast for a determined length of time. I have been lacking a lot of discipline in my life lately (so I feel), and although I can't fast from food for a day (because I am pregnant), I can easily (or not so easily!) give up some of my social media habits for a time.

Therefore, I am going to be doing a 40-day fast from social media, in order to work on discipline in my life, and to spend that time connecting with God, myself and L. 40 days, you ask?! Well, I liked the sound of 40 days - seemed like a good number :) I know this might seem crazy, but oh well! I am excited to do it! I am sure it will prove difficult - I am on facebook WAY too much - but I know that there are lessons to be learned through this challenge.

I DO realize though, that there are people who stay updated on our lives through this blog, so although I would consider blogging to be social media, I am going to modify my challenge slightly. I will still be blogging (probably only once or twice a week AND when the baby is born!), but will not be reading other blogs (although I love you all, I spend WAY too much time doing so, and this must be part of my challenge for the next 40 days - I'll be back soon enough, I promise!). I will also still be emailing (mostly because this the main form of communication Max and I have, and we agreed that it must stay for that reason!).

So, my rules for the next 40 days: absolutely no facebook, no reading other blogs and otherwise limited internet usage. I am also giving up desserts for this time frame (just because I can always use discipline in that area...). I WILL continue posting blogs every so often and use email/skype.

There you have it - my announcement! My 40 days starts tomorrow! I'll keep you posted on how it's going! And if anyone wants to join in with me (for 40 days or for whatever length of time!), feel free!!!

You Might Also Like

3 comments

  1. I think that is something that all of us need to do every once and a while. I stayed away from FB for a while and kinda didn't want to go back! Good for you! You will find that you really enjoy my dear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. holy crap..good luck. i tried for a weekend...and failed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I think that's absolutely fantastic of you and I really hope you're able to see it through. I would need a lot of strength to fast from social media, which is something I really should attempt to do. I'll be looking forward to your updates!

    ReplyDelete

Search

Popular Posts

Blog Archive