5 months down/9-month L

Sunday, July 18, 2010

Today is the 18th - oh how I love the 18th of each month! It is such a marker of time for me and I want for it all month long, each and every month. Today marks roughly 5 months done with this deployment. It feels far too long since I have: laid eyes on my husband's face (not counting those few times on Skype about a month ago), kissed my husband's lips, heard his voice in person, felt his arms around me and seen him holding our daughter with all the love a daddy can give. 5 months. Whew. That's good, right?! We're getting closer to being half-way done and that makes it feel like time is starting to go a little faster. We're almost to the downhill part of this deployment adventure (Is it really an adventure? Some days I just want to punch it in the face!). At least it's finally 5 months down, instead of 1 or 2 - those days really dragged on and on and on. I've had a bit of a rough week this past week and time really felt like it dragged on - every day felt like it took a year to get through. Hopefully those draggy weeks will stop and time will once again start feeling like it's moving somewhere!


The 18th of July also means that L is now 9-months old! Holy stromboli! It's hard to believe that she is already 9-months old! When I look at how much she has grown/changed, it seems like time has flown by - and that just yesterday, she was a little squirmy, floppy newborn in my arms! She is getting so big and I can't wait to see what her stats are at her 9-month Dr visit this week. She is crawling like a maniac all over the house, pulling herself up on everything and will even take a few steps while holding onto something. She is making many noises and we even think she may be trying to say "kitty" when she sees the cat. She loves to "talk" and will blabber on while she plays with her toys. L is a great eater and has tried lots of new things lately: corn-on-the-cob, beans, brussel sprouts, beets (not her favorite!), cherries, cottage cheese. She enjoys going on walks around the neighborhood and is even getting better about crawling in the grass. She does pretty well with new people - she usually just gets super serious when she doesn't know someone, but rarely cries or fusses too much when they hold her. She is a pretty content little girl - except when she tries to demand her food at mealtimes! And she has been super flexible and adaptable to the many situations I've placed her in so far - hope that keeps up!!! Oh! And she also has this newfound fascination for being upside down - it's funny!!

The sermon in church today was really good and just what I needed to hear. It was related to James 3:1-12, in which the author of the book, James, writes that the tongue needs to be tamed and that words can have the power to be good or evil. Such a small thing, yet oh so powerful. It was a great reminder, especially after having been contemplating my words this week (and the tone I say my words in). I have been really thinking about what I say and how I say them, especially in light of how L perceives it and what she is learning from how I speak to others. It's been a humbling thought. And one that has been really hard for me to work on. So the sermon this morning was very fitting. I think the most comical (or really, the saddest) part about it, is that I proceeded to come home and get all snappy at my mom (Sorry Mom!), right after church. Isn't it unbelievable how you can hear something and walk out the door and have it hit you right in the face?! It made me want to punch myself! And it humbled me. It's something I really want and need to work on right now - I guess it always is - we are always talking to people and always saying something, so I think it should always be a question in our mind - how are we saying things and what are we saying? Are we being positive and uplifting or being sarcastic and putting others down?!

The other thing I've been thinking on during this day is a series of verses found in Philippians - they came to me this morning while I was driving and I thought to myself how I wanted to really reflect on them this week.

"Rejoice in the Lord always; again, I will say, Rejoice. Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand; do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. What you have learned and received and heard and seen in me - practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you."
Philippians 4: 4-9 (ESV)

These are verses that I have memorized over the years and yet I always tend to forget them. I think it would behoove me to reflect on them throughout the week, as I go about with the intention of watching my words and the ways I say my words to others. Plus, they are also a great reminder about worry and about trusting that the Lord will provide all things, in His perfect timing and that I need to give up all my anxieties to Him, whether it be anxieties about Max, this deployment, our housing/move, being a mom, L, etc.

Ok! Now that I've rambled once again - woot-woot for 5 months down and L being 9-months old today! Hope you all have a blessed remainder of your Sunday.

You Might Also Like

4 comments

  1. What great milestones! You're getting there, keep going!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay !!! Bring on the down hill days! They are just around the corner!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. By this post, I know when he will be home from deployment. Please for the safety of the men and woman who are currently deployed do not blog about timelines.. countdowns EVEN IF they are not specific dates ARE a violation of OPSEC.

    ReplyDelete

Search

Popular Posts

Blog Archive