military spouse appreciation day!

Friday, May 07, 2010

the month of may is national military appreciation month. but specifically, today is military spouse appreciation day! for those of you who don't know, it was instated in 1984 by president ronald reagan, in order to recognize and honor the sacrifices and contributions of military spouses. annually, it is the friday before mother's day. thank you to all you spouses out there. if it wasn't for you, i don't know where most of our military would be. i don't even have words to express my thoughts about being a spouse of someone in the military and all the quotes i find just seem so cheesy. so all i have is thank you; for what you do, who you are and for the love and support you provide. you have a tough job (one that some people like to tell me is one of the hardest) and i feel so much respect for all those who take it on.


for me, it still feels so surreal that i am married, that my husband is in the marine corps, that he is deployed. so much has happened in the past year and i am still in awe that it's all happened! add to all that, the fact that i don't live near a base at the moment. this often leaves me with the feeling of being far apart from military world (not that i have a super deep desire to immerse myself all the way yet!) and some days it's easy to not even feel like a "military spouse". i am just another woman, loving and missing my man, who just happens to be off somewhere doing his job. so it's days like this that i remember that, oh yeah, i'm one of those military spouse people! maybe part of it is being so newly married and the fact that maxwell is so new (ok, not THAT new anymore!) to the corps. it's easy to feel like this deployment is hard, that being apart is unfair or that being married to a marine is a tough job. but the truth of the matter is, i am so encouraged and awed by those women who have been doing this for years, have been through multiple deployments, have moved countless times, have been both mama and daddy, have faced so much on their own. they are the ones i look up to - what a great example for me, the self-declared "newbie" :) ok, i'm rambling, ha! anyways, thanks again to all those military spouses!

in other news, L has an ear infection. which is nice to know. explains her cough and why she still isn't over her cold. got her on antibiotics, so i am praying it fully clears up by sunday so that we can still go to her scheduled test on monday! i got an order of cloth diapers yesterday - i ordered four different kinds to "test" out which ones i like best before ordering a bunch. i'll be posting my review on the six different kinds i now have.

You Might Also Like

3 comments

  1. Happy Milspouse Appreciation Day! Thank you for all YOUR services! Your hubs wouldn't be able to do such an incredible job, if it weren't for you!

    You have us in the blogging world to help you through your deployment.

    I hope your sweet yummy looking cupcake feels better soon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not even a wife yet, but still going through deployment number one. I can attest to those feelings of inspiration. When I look at those women who have done it for 30 years or more, through 4+ deployments I realize that I can definitely make it through one.

    Happy Mil-Spouse Day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey there! Thanks for following my blog and im happy to say im now a follower of yours also! :) I can definitely relate to how you feel...my hubby is "new" to the navy (he joined last october)and we've been apart for the last seven months. We are also newlyweds (we got married last august) and have had literally about a month together since we got married. It has been a really hard experience, especially because I am not living near a base either. other than my blog friends i only have 2 actual mil spouse friends, and I often feel left out of the whole "military" world. Its nice to know I'm not the only one..lol...Well enough about me! your blog is lovely and i'm looking forward to reading more! :)

    xoxo,
    the navy wife

    ReplyDelete

Search

Popular Posts

Blog Archive