A few small wonders this week.

Thursday, October 10, 2013

"Small change, small wonders - these are the currency of my endurance and ultimately of my life." 
Barbara Kingsolver

That quote has been one of my all-time favorites ever since a sweltering hot summer spent living and working in Birmingham, Alabama, where it really was the small wonders, the little things, the oft unnoticed things that truly made up that summer, that season of change and shifting paradigms and altered life dreams.  

It is so easy to let the big picture get in the way, at least for me.  I can get so focused on the overarching goal or plan, that I can lose the little details or forget that my kids see things on an entirely different level and perspective.  I can get so swept up in cleaning the house so it's presentable or doing the laundry just to check it off the list, that I miss making that fort the kids want to play in or the simple joys of watching a garbage truck coming down the street.  

I know this observance, or lack thereof, is a common theme in my life, and I constantly have to remind myself to stop and notice the little things, the simple joys, the small wonders.  But when I do, when I take the time to wonder and marvel and be thankful for all the teeny, sometimes seemingly insignificant, things, it changes everything: my perspective, my mood, my interactions with my kids and husband, my heart.

With that being said, here are a few small wonders from our house this past week:

Getting a lion costume in the mail from Grandma & Grandpa.  Ezra wears it a LOT.
And I might giggle every time, because he is just so darn cute.  RAWR!
 Watching the garbage truck come down the street, picking up cans and shaking them out.
The kids were absolutely mesmerized and could have watched it all day long.  
Laundry folding.  I don't know why I put it all off, but at least I got to drink tea and watch Call the Midwife while I got it done?!  I think that alone is a good enough reason to put it off again ;)
 They love each other so well.  They fight too, but at least they are so close they know how to fight, right?!
Ezra also got a new hat and wears it everywhere, to keep the sun out of his eyes.
I am definitely a morning person.  There is something so special, for me, to get up early, to sit in the quiet and calm of the house, to read Truth and journal my thoughts.  It helps me start my day off well. Doesn't happen every morning, but I love when it does. Oh, and coffee - that is always always always a little thing that makes this mama smile.  I just love coffee.  
 Saturday morning, we loaded into the car and drove downtown to the Wharf to see the seals.  It wasn't that crazy or a huge deal, and it didn't even cost us money.  We just parked the car and walked down the pier, watching the seals and chatting together about ocean life.  It ended up being such a special hour, making memories and spending quality time together.
And there were lots and lots and lots of seals.  So cool!
What about you?  What are some of the small wonders of your week?

You Might Also Like

4 comments

  1. Oh that lion costume is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is the cutest lion I have ever seen! How fun to see all the seals. I really need to catch up on Call the Midwife. I think after I get my cleaning done today, I will do just that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ezra is so darn cute in that costume!

    I haven't heard of the show "Call the Midwife" - I am guessing by the title it is kind of like "A Baby Story" idea?

    Those seals are incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish we lived by the water sometimes- how special! I love this post. :)

    ReplyDelete

Search

Popular Posts

Blog Archive