4th of July in Charlotte (Recap from last week)

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Last week, Max got some time off for the 4th of July, so we packed up the car with our friends Mark & Amy, and trekked to Charlotte to visit Aunt Kathy and Uncle David.  We had a great couple of days, hanging out, swimming in the pool, catching up with family and friends, relaxing, watching fireworks, going to a Parade, playing games and eating lots of yummy food.  Here is a little snippet of our time, in photos:

Car rides with two babes, four adults and a goofy Basset - always proves to be an adventure and makes for a LOT of laughter.
Pool time at Kathy & David's.  L is a little fish and didn't want any help, floating around.  We practiced putting our heads under, blowing bubbles, and kicking, but mostly she just wanted to bum around.  Ezzy isn't as excited about the water, but still floated around and enjoyed being in the cool pool.  Max wasn't able to swim because of his infection/healing abscess, so was pretty sad - he loves to swim too.
Watching fireworks the night before the 4th.  The kids enjoyed them, although it was WAY past their bedtime and they were super tired after a day of swimming.  They managed to stay awake, but I could tell it was hard on them - I forget that we hardly ever keep them up past their bedtime!  
L, helping Aunt Kathy make a dessert for the 4th of July cookout, with Ezzy watching (and eating a snack) in the background.  She was pretty excited to help clean the spatula off!
 On the morning of the 4th, we went to a local parade.  I have never been to a 4th of July parade, so that was pretty fun - we had a good time, in spite of it being super hot out!  The kids loved all the trucks and animals, as well as the necklaces they acquired.  Max got a kick out of the decked-out poodle (he has this strange obsession with standard poodles...).  
We attempted to take a family photo, and this was the best we got.  Apparently it was not our day?  Still cracks me up.  Ezzy crying and refusing to look at the camera.  L with her back turned, refusing to turn around without screaming.  Max seeming disinterested.  And me, trying to tell Mark that this was obviously not going to work out at that moment, ha!
 So, instead, Max and I tried to get a photo together.  I don't think we had much better luck.  At least my husband had me laughing!  
{Alison - I think you are going to have to help us get some better photos next week, ok?!}
Aunt Kathy and Uncle David sent us for a night out while we were in town.  Mark, Amy, Max and I went to a cute little French bakery, where we enjoyed super delicious desserts and coffee.  We had a really good time, and it was nice to enjoy a night out.
 Our time in Charlotte went by quickly, but we had a great time getting away from home for a few days.  The rest of our week and last weekend consisted of unpacking/getting back into our routine.

Quick update on our little family:
Max is slowly healing from his infection/abscess, and is back to work (finally! He was getting really antsy being at home so long!) full time.  He should be back to running/fitness/pretty much normal next week, as long as no more complications arise.  My dear little babes picked up a cold over the weekend, which has caused some minor sleep disruptions, but we've been taking it easy and they are on the mend.  I had to go into the ER (nothing super urgent or crazy) last weekend, to find out that I had a corneal ulcer - a nice way of saying I had a little tear/scratch on my eye.  The biggest fear with corneal ulcers is that with an open tear on your eyeball, infection can set in quick.  They got me set up with antibiotic eye drops right away, and it's healed up already, Praise Jesus.  
It's been a slightly crazy few weeks for us, as we have dealt with random medical issues and colds, but I think I can finally say we are all healing and getting better. The last few weeks have been a bit rough on me, as I have struggled with staying positive and focused - and have had to constantly check my perspective - we truly are so blessed, and God is so good and is taking care of our family - our little struggles and challenges are nothing compared to what some people go through and live with, and I need to be thankful we are all mostly healthy, have a roof over our heads, nutritious food on our table and so, so much more. 

You Might Also Like

3 comments

  1. It looks like you had a fun day, the poodle made me laugh! I hope everyone heals quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! You're keeping busy! I love that family photo of you guys - that's just how things go, huh? I'm glad everyone is healing up too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like y'all had a fun and crazy trip! The picture attempts cracked me up! That's what our pictures end up like when we try to do a photoshoot. :) Glad to hear everyone is on the mend! Hopefully you can catch a break from all the crazy medical stuff!

    ReplyDelete

Search

Popular Posts

Blog Archive