{Bake-N-Blog} -- Gingerbread Cupcakes

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

As I mentioned last night, Jessica over at Jesstagirl and Her Officer is hosting a cupcake Bake-N-Blog today. Basically, she found this stellar website, Ming Makes Cupcakes, in which there are 33 cupcake recipes. Jessica had people sign up for each cupcake, make them and then link them to her Bake-N-Blog! This gave us all the chance to try making one, but not having to make all 33 cupcakes! We can live vicariously through all the other cupcake bakers :)

I chose cupcake #28 - the Gingerbread Cupcake with Fluffy Cream Cheese Filling. They sounded "fall"-ish and different, so I gave them a try!


All of my raw ingredients, ready to go. I had everything I needed in the cupboards - flour, baking soda, brown sugar, molasses, cinnamon, ground nutmeg, ground ginger, eggs, butter, salt and sour cream (yeah, I thought it was a bit strange too...but I went ahead and kept trucking...).

The baking soda, meeting the flour. These two things were combined together.

Next, in a separate bowl, I combined the room temp butter, brown sugar, salt, ginger, cinnamon and nutmeg. And mixed it on up.

It looked like this once it was mixed nicely:

The recipe then called for the molasses. Now, molasses is not always my favorite substance to work with, mostly because I hate having to clean out the measuring container that I put it in, ha ha! So I have found a method that works GREAT and limits the stickiness factor! I put a piece of cling-wrap or syran-wrap into the measuring cup and THEN pour the molasses in. That way the molasses only gets on the plastic wrap! I then pour it in. You can see the plastic wrap in the picture - I pulled it out of the cup to try to get more of the molasses out! Icky, sticky measuring cup averted!!!

Mix molasses in, to get this:

Add 2 eggs, one at a time until well-beaten.

Then comes the sour cream. Interesting.

The recipe never told me when to add the flour/baking soda mixture I had put together in a separate bowl. So I concluded that it should come after all the wet ingredients had been added. I mixed in the flour mixture until just mixed and then was ready to fill my muffin tins:

All ready to bake, in the oven. The other thing the recipe did not directly say was how much to fill each muffin tin. I think I would have put a little less to avoid having such "muffin tops" - so probably only filled each one 3/4th full.

My mini muffins, out of the oven!

I whipped up the amazingly delicious filling while waiting for my cupcakes to cool. Then cut off the tops (or got lazy and just cut a piece out of the cupcake!) and filled each little hole with the filling. This is what they looked like after filling them:

Here is my final product! The recipe picture shows frosting on top as well, but I found that having the filling in the cupcake was PLENTY (and this is coming from a pregnant sweet-aholic!), so I left the frosting off my cupcake tops.

The gingerbread cupcake with fluffy cream cheese filling, in all it's glory!!!!

All in all, these cupcakes were easy enough to make and I thought they tasted delicious! Not too overpowering, but just enough to make you wish that Christmas was here right now! The filling was simply amazing and I saved the extra so that I could top some leftover pumpkin muffins with it - it was that good! I think it was the marshmallow fluff in it! SO good!

I would definitely make these again and try to do a better job with the filling - since I had such "muffin tops", it was a slight battle getting the cupcakes out of the tins without ruining their tops, therefore making their appearance a little rough around the edges! And I wouldn't make mini's either - I didn't have a choice yesterday, seeing as how I only had so many regular muffin tin papers! Oh well!

If you are a fan of gingerbread, I would definitely recommend these! Yum! I think I might have to go find another one now....

{The recipe can be found at Ming Makes Cupcakes.}

You Might Also Like

8 comments

  1. I loved your tip for molasses and I really hope I remember it the next time I need to use the sticky stuff. I'm usually not a huge fan of ginger, but combined with the frosting, those cupcakes look scrumptious and I really want one! Thanks for participating :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. insert mouth-watering drool here ....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yum. I wish we were neighbors so I could run over and grab one. So delicious looking. And I pretty much want to eat it for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look to die for! Very smart cling wrap trick :) I'll have to remember that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thinking of using this for Gabe's birthday next month and topping them with a matchbox car since we're doing car stuff for his birthday but since his b-day is halloween this might but a great fall dessert.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those look amazing! and your plastic wrap in the measuring cup idea is genius! I've been told to put a light coat up butter or cooking spray in the measuring cup first, but you still have to clean that. Your idea is much better :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your cupcakes look so yummy! I admit I didn't want to tackle the gingerbread recipe b/c of the molasses mess...but that is such a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh, I knew I'd like you!!! Making cupcakes AND you have a Mac?! I'm sold. Haha ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Search

Popular Posts

Blog Archive