I heart summer!!

Tuesday, July 06, 2010

A few days ago, as L and I were taking our morning walk, I began to really notice the sounds, smells and sights. We were walking along a path that goes through one of the wetlands (or marshes, whatever you wanna call it!) near my parent's house. The birds were singing and swooping around, the cattails were rustling in the wind, the bright green leaves on the trees were dancing back and forth in the breeze, and the sun was shining brightly. It was glorious! And in those moments, the thought that crossed my mind was, I love summer. And once that thought was in my head, I just started thinking about summer and all the many reasons why I adore it. And since that morning, the I love summer thought has been racing in and out of my mind so much that I decided I better share it!


I love summer. Why? Because it's green and hot and sunny. I enjoy the other seasons too, but I am girl who needs her sun. Big time. So winter is ok for about a week and then I am ready for mass quantities of sunlight again (I realize that by living in MN, I limit my sunlight amountage in the winter - I suppose I could choose to live someplace with a milder winter...). And spring? It's always so dreary and rainy and gray. Which is also nice for about a week and then I'm just done. But summer - oh glorious summer - the sun shines and produces great heat. One of the best feelings is laying on a boat, soaking up the sun and getting so hot that you feel like you're getting scorched, then jumping in a lake. It's great and oh so refreshing. As much as the heat takes it out of me (especially while I'm preggo), I really like it. Blame it on being born in Arizona if you want, but I just like the feeling of being super warm. Like when you're sitting outside on a porch/deck and it's hot out, but the breeze is blowing so that there is air circulating - can it get any more summer than that?!

Oh! And sweet tea. Oh.My.Gosh. I am a huge fan. Now, a little rant - the sweet tea that is made up here in MN just cannot compare to any sweet tea made in the south. I know this to be true. I remember the summer I lived in Birmingham, I think I consumed hundreds of gallons of that amazingly sweet, delicious drink (it's SO good!) and when I came home, I was so disappointed because I just couldn't find sweet tea that tasted near as good. Bah! I've learned how to make it, but am still perfecting it. My current favorite is mint sweet tea. Yum-o! The only problem is that I could glass upon glass of sweet tea and all that sugar is bound to catch up to me someday :) Speaking of consuming things, another summer favorite (well, actually I don't know if it's really a favorite, or just a preggo craving, but I can't get it out of my head!) is fried chicken. Oh man. I just want some so bad. A picnic! On a hot day! With sweet tea! Doesn't that sound amazing?! I really should whip out the super cool picnic basket I found a few years ago and make some use out of it!!! The real summer food favorites would have to be corn-on-cob, cucumber salad, fresh green beans, beats and fresh tomatoes (sliced with mozzarella cheese and basil!) - I LOVE all the fresh produce that we can get in the summer. It's amazing and tastes SO good - plus, I feel so healthy while eating it!

Ahhh, the smells of summer, you ask? Like fresh-cut grass, BBQ on the grill, bugspray (it's not the best smell, but definitely reminds me of summer!) and lake water? Oh yes! Oh summer, what a glorious time of year. Some images that have been racing in my head the past few days, as associated with summer: sitting at the side of a lake, at dusk, watching the water gently ripple; horseback-riding, sweat, bugs, the smell of leather and the sound of hooves stamping on the ground; laying out in the sun, roasting, attempting to tan; swimming, boating, canoeing; playing frisbee late into the evening, listening to mosquitoes as they try to eat me alive; summer thunderstorms; the MN State Fair (oh man, I could go on about this for a LONG time!); s'mores (oh my gosh, how could I forget! They are one of my favorites, too!).

So there you have it. My rambling post about summer and my love for it. Oh summer, how I adore thee!

Quick sidenote - I am 24 weeks preggo today! Holy smokes! In 3 1/2 months, this baby will be getting ready to make his appearance! Wow! Am I ready for baby #2, you ask?! Heck NO! Will I be? Probably not! I think that I won't be ready until he's here and in my arms, and even then, it'll still be a completely crazy and amazing adventure, having two little ones! Oh man! Isn't life great?! I love it!

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. I too love the heat of the summer...it feels so good!!! I miss that Carolina heat so much!! Summer is definitely my favorite season too!!

    ReplyDelete

Search

Popular Posts

Blog Archive