Settling into our new house.

Friday, May 24, 2013

Last Monday, my parents and I loaded up their vehicle, packed up the kids in the early morning hours, and drove all day long from Tucson to Monterey.  Needless to say, we were so ready to get out of the car after 15 hours, and it was doubly rewarding getting out and seeing our new house!  The movers brought our belongings the next day, and it was pretty much go-go-go all of last week.  Unpacking boxes, putting stuff away, finding new places to store everything, hanging curtains and pictures, and trying to get settled into our new house.  

We know we'll only be here about a year, so I wanted to get unpacked and somewhat settled in as quickly as possible, so that it feels like home for us.  I am proud to say that the house is completely unpacked and most everything is hung up - I have to buy curtains for a few more rooms, and need to print out some updated photos to hang in frames - but for the most part, it's done!!  Greatest feeling ever!  

Don't get too excited - I definitely did NOT do it alone!  There is no way I could have gotten everything this unpacked and settled all on my own, in one week, with three little ones underfoot.  My mom and dad were amazing, and were huge helps.  My dad would often take the kids for walks or on adventures, so that my mom and I could focus on getting stuff done.  They were an incredible blessing, and I am so thankful that they were willing and able to help us out so much in the past few weeks.  It definitely would have been a much different transition had we not had their help.  My parents left early this week, and it was sad to see them go!  We have missed them these past few days, but truly are grateful for all the time we got to spend with them.  

Since my parents left, it's been the kids and I, trying to settle into a routine of sorts.  Max goes to school everyday, and is gone from 6am-430pm.  Once he gets home, he usually has about 3 hours of homework and studying to do before going to sleep.  We're still trying to figure out a good schedule, so that we feel we get to spend a little bit of time with him in between all that schoolwork.  We only have one vehicle, so we are also trying to figure that out - whether he can find another mode of transportation a few days a week, so the kids and I don't feel perpetually stuck around the house.  We've been going outside a lot - walks to the park, playing out front by the "big trees", and watering our new plants - but I still feel slightly trapped, knowing we can't drive anywhere all day long.

Max is doing well, and seems to be enjoying school - it's a lot of information everyday, but I think he likes the overload, and he enjoys the language so far.  The kids are doing well, and seem to be settling in here - I think they are glad all their toys and bedding is here with them - it helps make this familiar and home.  We all got a little too acclimated in the AZ heat - it was in the 80's and 90's while we were there.  Here in the Monterey area, it's usually upper 50's and low 60's during the day - let's just say that my children insist on wearing their jackets everytime we go to play outside.  And when I suggested that we eat our afternoon snack outside the other day, they informed me it was "too cold" and we needed to eat inside!  Haha!  We got a little wimpy, I guess!  

The area is gorgeous - we are minutes from the ocean.  Max tells me that's his favorite part about driving to work - that he drives along the bay everyday.  It's beautiful.  Can't wait to explore more!  And if anyone wants to come visit - we always have a place to stay!!!  Ocean views, lots of fresh produce, and our little family - what more could you want?!  

I am excited to be here and mostly settled - partly because it means I can start blogging more regularly again.  I love blogging, sharing our story, the adventures that we have, pictures of my little family.  It's good for my heart.  It helps me know I'm not alone.  I might be in a new city, in a new house, in a new area, knowing no friends yet, but I know I have lots of friends and family that I can connect with through the internet.  It's such a crazy, beautiful thing!  I am eager to share bits of our new house soon, to share more about our last adventures in AZ, and to share about Evie at 8 months!  

Hope y'all had a lovely week!

You Might Also Like

4 comments

  1. I am excited to hear more and see pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to see pictures! We have friends in Monterey and they love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you're settling in. It sounds awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's great to get settled quickly. We had to do that here too, since we were only going to be here 18 months tops (now it's a bit longer!)

    ReplyDelete

Search

Popular Posts

Blog Archive