I'm glad he was born.

Monday, December 17, 2012

"I think it is more important to celebrate a birthday than a successful exam, a promotion, or a victory.  Because to celebrate a birthday means to say to someone: Thank you for being you.  Celebrating a birthday is exalting life and being glad for it. On a birthday we do not say: Thank you for what you did, or said, or accomplished.  No, we say: Thank you for being born and being among us."  
Henri Nouwen, Here and Now

Today marks 25 years since my dear husband entered this world.  He is not a fan of birthdays - maybe because he doesn't like to be celebrated.  Which I told him is silly.  I very much believe in birthdays being a big deal, making a point to appreciate someone being born and being here with us, being a part of our lives.

I, for one, am oh so glad Max was born on this day, 25 years ago.  He is my best friend, my crazy other half, the one whom my soul loves, the Daddy of my babies, the man I will grow old and gray with.  And I couldn't imagine life without him in it.

I am so blessed that God gave me Max, and I am so glad to celebrate this day with him - with pistachio cheesecake, baked brie, new t-shirts screaming his love for coffee, snuggles on the couch and most likely, talk about fish and other goofy topics of conversation - all very fitting for a day celebrating his life.

Happy Birthday, my dear Maxwell.  I love you.

You Might Also Like

1 comments

Search

Popular Posts

Blog Archive